Skin lightening, often known as skin bleaching, is a cosmetic treatment used to lighten dark patches or to obtain a more equal skin tone. It is generally used to cover blemishes such as birthmarks and dark spots (melasma).
Skin-lightening treatments work by lowering melanin concentrations or synthesis in the skin. Melanin is the pigment that gives skin its colour and protects it from the sun.
There are several types of skin lightening treatments available today, each with its unique benefits and risks. Here are some of the popular skin lightening treatments:
Chemical peels are one of the most popular skin lightening treatments available today. The treatment involves the application of a chemical solution to the skin, which exfoliates the top layer of the skin, revealing a brighter and more even complexion. Chemical peels are effective in reducing hyperpigmentation, dark spots, and uneven skin tone caused by sun damage or other factors.
Topical creams, such as hydroquinone, retinoids, and corticosteroids, are effective in reducing hyperpigmentation and dark spots.These creams work by inhibiting the production of melanin in the skin, reducing the appearance of pigmentation.
Prescription – over-the-counter skin-lightening creams
Skin-lightening creams that are powerful can be purchased upon prescription from a physician. They typically comprise Hydroquinone or topical steroids like hydrocortisone.
Creams for skin lightening, which you can purchase without having to obtain a prescription
A variety of skin-lightening alternatives are available on the internet or in stores or in pharmacies with no prescription. Make sure you use creams containing hydroquinone, mercury or corticosteroids, only with the prescription of your skin specialist, since they could result in serious adverse negative effects if not used correctly.
A variety of skin-lightening creams that contain natural ingredients are also in the market. They are safe and not likely to harm, however there’s no guarantee they’ll be effective.
How to use creams for skin lightening?
Your physician will guide you on about how to use your skin lightening cream.
It is common to advise:
- Apply the smallest amount at least once or twice per day, apply it to the darkened part that is the surface.
- Do not apply the cream to the skin around it or in your mouth, eyes and your nose.
- Apply the cream using the help of a cotton bud, or cleanse your hands thoroughly prior to or after applying the cream.
- Do not rub the areas against the skin of someone else for a minimum of an hour after applying the cream.
- Use sun cream to shield your skin from damaging effects of the sun’s rays.
- The majority of patients will have to maintain the treatment for 3 to four months.
- Your skin specialist may suggest discontinuing treatment at this point or only using it often.
Laser skin lightening is another popular skin treatment that uses concentrated light energy to reduce pigmentation and improve skin tone. The treatment targets the melanin in the skin, which causes pigmentation, and breaks it down into smaller particles, making it easier for the body to eliminate them.
The cost of each Laser skin lightening session varies widely across practitioners and is influenced by the size of the region being treated, the extent of the lightening, and the equipment used. Several sessions are frequently required to increase the likelihood of the procedure being effective.
Prior to the procedure:
Before the procedure begins, a small area of skin may be tested to see how it reacts. If you don’t have any issues, your first session is scheduled a few weeks later. Because the procedure may cause stinging or pricking sensations, a local anaesthetic cream may be used to numb your skin beforehand.
During the procedure:
You’ll be provided with special goggles that will shield your eyes from lasers.
A tiny handheld laser device is placed against your skin, it may feel similar to an elastic band pressing against your skin. Additionally, the cold air could be blown over your skin to help keep it cool throughout the procedure. Each session is typically about 30 minutes to an hour.
It may take between 1 and two weeks to heal your skin after undergoing laser skin lightening. It is possible to have a couple of days off to rest until your skin’s appearance improves. In the following months, the skin will begin to fade to a lighter shade. The skin will be irritable to sunlight for as long as six months.
To recover, you must:
- Clean the area with soap that isn’t perfumed, then rub it dry.
- It is recommended to apply aloe vera gel as well as petroleum jelly (such as Vaseline) to cool and soothe the affected region.
- Avoid picking at any crusts or scabs which develop.
- You can take painkillers such as paracetamol if you are experiencing any discomfort.
- You can also place a frozen ice cube wrapped in a towel on the skin to help reduce swelling.
- Apply sunscreen to the affected area for a minimum of six months to shield it from the damaging effects of sun.
It’s normal after a laser treatment for skin lightening to include:
- Redness and swelling
- The effects typically fade within a couple of weeks.
What can go wrong?
Laser treatment can cause serious complications. These can include:
- Skin infections
- The skin’s complexion becoming darker or getting too light
If you experience any issues following the laser lightening treatment, it’s recommended that you return to the skin specialist who performed the treatment.
In conclusion, skin lightening is a personal choice, and it’s essential to choose the right treatment that suits your skin type and condition. At Dr Venus Institute of Skin and Hair, we offer the best skin treatments available to help you achieve a brighter and more even complexion. Our experienced and skilled team of dermatologists and aestheticians use the latest technologies and techniques to deliver safe and effective skin lightening treatments. Whether you’re dealing with hyperpigmentation, dark spots, or uneven skin tone, we have a range of treatments customized to your specific needs. So if you’re looking for the best skin treatments for a flawless and radiant complexion, visit Dr Venus Institute of Skin and Hair Clinic, which has the best dermatologists in Hyderabad. Schedule an appointment with us to discover how we can help you achieve your skin goals.